You select a particular horse to win the race, place your bet on that horse, and if it wins, you win money!
New To Betting
Types of bets
If you are new to the exciting world of horseracing, you might be surprised to learn that there are various types of bets. You don’t only have the option of betting which horse will win. Here are the various types of bets so that the next time you go to the races, you can impress your friends by explaining to them how it works.
A place bet is occurs when you bet on a horse qualifying for a place position.
This is another popular type of bet, which is a combination of a win and place bet.
This is when you pick two horses in a race and couple them in a swinger. Both have to finish in the first 3.
Quite simply, this is when you select horses to finish first and second. Unlike with a swinger, you have to bet the exact order as well.
This one is quite ambitious. Your selection of horses, have to finish first, second and third, in the exact order.
This one is truly impressive to get right. You bet on the horses to finish first, second, third and fourth, in the exact order.
You bet on winners of two consecutive races. These two races constitute the double and are then referred to as leg 1 and leg 2.
Select the winners of all four races that constitute the jackpot, which are referred to as legs 1 to 4.
Select the winners of all six races that constitute the pick 6, which are referred to as legs 1 to 6.
Similar to the bipot, you choose a horse (or more than one horse) to finish first, second or third in each of the seven races.
You choose a horse (or more than one horse) to finish first or second in each of the six races of the bipot, which are referred to as legs 1 to 6.
How to place a bet
Placing a bet is a big part of a day at the races. Without placing a bet you’ll never really experience the thrill of horseracing.
Many people are hesitant to place a bet as they feel intimidated by the process. But placing a bet is easy once you get the hang of it.
Simply follow these easy steps:
- Choose your favourite contender from the list of participating horses and note their names and numbers. Decide on the amount of money you are willing to bet.
- Choose the type of bet you would like to place. There are numerous types of bets and it will take a while to get used to all the options.
- Decide where you are going to place your bet, most likely at the racecourse.
- Tell the betting operator which race you are betting on, the horse’s number, the amount you’d like to bet and the type of bet you’d like to place.
- Keep a watchful eye on your ticket as you’ll need it to claim your winnings. After the race has been completed, go back to the betting operator and hand over your ticket in exchange for your winnings
Some examples of bet types include:
- Win – Bet on a horse to win.
- Place – Bet on a horse to finish in the placings.
- Eachway – Combines a win and place bet.
- Swinger – Pick your top two horses in a race and win if they place within the top three.
- Exacta – Bet on two horses for first and second place. Similarly, trifecta and quartet refer to choosing the top three and four horses.
- Double – Choose the winners of two consecutive races.
- Pick 3 – Choose the winners of three races in a row.
Where can I place a bet?
When it’s time to place your bet, there are a number of different options. The easiest option when you’re at the racetrack is to place your bet there. There are plenty of betting operators to help you and make the process as easy as possible. There are licensed horseracing and tote betting operators in South Africa. One is Phumelela Gaming and Leisure Limited, of which TAB is Phumelela’s tote betting division, and the other is Gold Circle. Betting World offers fixed odds and is a subsidiary of Phumelela.
Your options are endless when it comes to placing a bet. All you need to do is pick the winning horse!